Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ecco’s Brussels Boots: Yea or Nay?


Next post, I’ll let you know my verdict, but this is about my crush on Ecco’s Brussels boots for $220. (Patent leather upper with convenient side zip entry for easy on/off. Textile lining absorbs moisture and provides excellent cushioning for all-day comfort. Cemented, single-density latex outsole absorbs shock and ensures flexibility and long-lasting wear. 1 1/4" heel. 15 1/2" shaft. 15" circumference.)

Infatuation occurs before I’ve tried them on and lasts until the return policy makes me decide whether to keep them. After a period of consumer restraint and work-induced stress, I walked into Ecco's Newbury Street store ready to buy. I was told they’d sold out, to the surprise of their buyer, but of course not to me. The boots were a beautiful mottled gray named “Ascot.” I had no idea why you would name a color after an English racecourse or a man’s silk neck scarf until Wikipedia explained that ascots were traditionally made of gray patterned silk. Never mind that I needed brown boots. If Tim Gunn were by my side, would he remind me that brown is a better shoe closet staple than gray? Is that even true? Oh well. Below are two designer boots with similarly compelling (but more ombre) shades.

Prada’s Degrade Riding Boot in smoke degradé (smoke gradation or shaded tones) for $1,250. (Think dégradé is supposed to have another acute accent.) Full exposed side zip. 1” stacked heel. Made in Italy.

Aquatalia by Marvin K’s Rain Boots in Wasabi Rose for $285. Slick patent leather with shading. Wedge heel, 1", weatherproof, hidden inner zip, leather lining, padded insole, rubber sole. Made in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment