Sunday, November 22, 2009

Stalking BR military style sweater


After a good five-plus years away, Banana Republic styles and sales are speaking to me again. Visited both Newbury Street and Copley stores maybe ten times last few weeks stalking the black Military cardigan, 100% wool, extra long sleeves, hits at hip, with polished military-inspired buttons and shoulder epaulets. A trend traced to Balanciaga, as far back as AW 05-06, and most commonly epitomized in Balmain's ubiquitous jacket (below) that’s been on all sorts of celebrities. Perfect for a boyish figure like mine. Bought it full price ($130), then returned and bought it at a reduced price ($89.99), but several more visits tell me it doesn’t look like it’s going down again. A sales clerk said that the number of reductions depends on sell through, and that it would move to the sale rack mid season, where I found it my last visit.
I’ve seen the Holiday season merchandise come in (unusually early, I might add). Like a game, I've read the fine print on the various sales incentives that I usually ignore. There was the $25 off coupon, good during the second week of November, which I used to buy a second sweater (hello, hidden pocket long cardigan, below). I’ve taken two customer surveys, and received respectively a 20% and 15% off discount. In my hot little hands, I have two “All Chic All Week” coupons, for 40% off full-priced merchandise on 3 successive Wednesdays. Dressing room chat leads me to believe there are many more discounts and deals to be had. Since their merchandise is regularly reduced, I suppose the advantage of a coupon is not having to wait until an item falls to a desirable price, or not having to risk sellout, and the satisfaction of knowing you've gotten a good enough bargain so that you don't have to keep checking back! So far, I’m happily drinking the Banana Republic Kool-Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment