Monday, June 9, 2008

Own: LOVE My Kamiks


While my mother was getting her hair cut next door, I wandered in to the Curtis Family Shoe Store, a tiny place in Ellesworth, Maine. It was July of 2007 and I was not looking for rain boots. Not because of the summery weather, but because I was a rain boot snob. Even after 20 years in Boston, where rain boots were required unless you wanted wet feet and ruined shoes, I refused to buy LLBean duck boots — the standard issue rain boot for New Englanders. Duck boots are not stylish in any way, shape, or form. Despite what this Fashiontribes poster says.

Then I spied these Daisy Pink Kamiks. Their sherberty pinks and oranges channeled Emilio Pucci, the jet-setting Florence fashion designer known for bold kaleidoscopic prints (and Capri pants). Pucci’s daughter Laudomia has been involved in updating the brand since Pucci's death in 1992, which must explain Pucci’s footwear collection, and the Pucci pumps and rain boots I found on Zappos!


Luckily for my pocketbook, I prefer my $55 Kamiks to the Puccis (pumps $270; boots $154). Apparently, so do a few celebrity mother-daughter pairs. Orange Daisy wearers allegedly include Courtney Cox and daughter Coco, Brooke Shields and daughters Rowan and Grier, Kelly Ripa and Lola, Gywneth Paltrow and Apple. Pink Daisy wearers include Reese Witherspoon and Eva.

Introduced to the USA in March 2007, Montreal-based Kamik rain boots are made of recyclable synthetic rubber, and because of a new technology have clearer graphics with no distortion or front seam that otherwise ruins the boots' design. When asked about the rain-boot stink factor, I’d have to say that mine are stink-free. Kamiks are made with soft Polartec lining and removable Kaxeric antibacterial insoles. But to be honest, unlike some teens I hear about, I mostly wear mine when it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment